“A lie is a statement that the stating party believes to be false and that is made with the intention to deceive.”
What I want to examine is why people lie.
1. People lie because they have something to hide. It might be an affair, financial fraud, or anything that is viewed negatively. Nevertheless, the liar wants to hide the facts.
2. People lie because they’re too cowardly to face the consequences. They don’t mind doing the crime, but don’t you dare mention doing the time. Everything has consequences, and they will come back to bite you.
3. People lie to make themselves look good. It may be about their education, “character”, or some way to make themselves look nice so people will like them. If I see through your lie, you have lost my respect. I will tolerate you, but I will have a hard time trusting you.
4. People lie to keep from hurting your feelings (and keep themselves from looking mean in the process). You may be a horrible singer, but a liar will tell you how great you are and tell the first person who will listen about how your singing damaged their hearing.
5. People will lie to get things done. I’ve had bosses manipulate me into thinking one thing so they could get what they want.
Lying is NEVER justified!!! It violates God’s character. God is truth! When we deceive, we are doing the same exact thing the devil did in the Garden of Eden. So what if you might hurt someone’s feelings? Speak the truth in love and for their benefit! Tell the truth about yourself. If you were the nastiest hooker in the county, admit it! If the truth will get you in trouble, have the guts to admit it and take the consequences like a big boy or girl! Leave the truth out in the open so you won’t have to hide one thing after the other. Lies are like snowballs going downhill. They will get bigger, and you won’t be able to keep up with the damage control. Bottom line: tell the truth at all times and go to bed with a clean conscience.