The first message I preached at our church plant was from the life of Joseph. I could relate to some principles from his life, though I never experienced the level of oppression he did. I want to share with my WordPress audience what God gave me to share on the first week of Overcomers Church.
- God puts a Dream within all of us. Please note there is a difference between a God-given dream and our selfish amibitions. Joseph was a guy who was living the dream, a dreamer himself, and one whose dreams came to pass.
- Some people will hate you for your dream. When God puts something within you, expect opposition. For Joseph, the opposition came from his brothers. For many of us, it will more than likely come from those who call themselves our Christian brothers and sisters. Jesus promised that we would have hardship in this life, but He would overcome the world (John 16:33).
- Some of us experience delays in our dreams coming to pass. Joseph was sold into slavery and went through many hardships before he lived the dream. Although we hate detours, detours are always for our development.
- Dreams often offer a glimpse of hope followed by a setback. Joseph was promoted by Potiphar. His wife attempts to seduce him, but Joseph runs. Potiphar’s wife lies and falsely accuses Joseph, thus landing Joseph in prison.
- Dreams become reality in God’s time. Joseph begins interpreting dreams for Pharoah which later led to his promotion. He later reconnected with his family.
- Dreams accomplish God’s purpose (Genesis 50:20). Joseph made it known to his brothers that what they meant for evil turned out to be for good. We may walk through the Fire, but God has our best interest at heart.
Don’t give up on the dream God has put within you! God has a plan despite the delays and detours. Keep persevering and watch God honoring faithfulness to what He has commanded.